Popular Posts

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

The Surprising Comeback Kid

Growing up in the 80s and 90s is very interesting, especially when it comes to the music scene. I've seen the evolution of El Debarge (to the Debarge), the rise and fall of Michael Jackson, the re-invention of Madonna, the media shift from Pop to Alternative (hello, Pearl Jam!), and the marriage of alternative, rock and pop mishmashing to become a sound we cannot even put in a category.

Now in the day and age of the iPod and the ability to buy individual songs, dictating what the media should report on based on instant poll updates on the internet, I was rather surprised at this morning's event: the open arms welcome to none other than Whitney Houston.

Whitney Houston, an artist with a pure voice, rocked the 80s with "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" and captured the 90s with Dolly Parton's song "I Will Always Love You" for the soundtrack to The Bodyguard. Then, she spun out of control as she became part of her family's reality show, "Being Bobby Brown". Her volatile relationship with her then husband, Bobby Brown, and her dabble with drugs all of a sudden made her a laughing stock. The topper was her "baptism" in the Black Hebrew tribe. All of a sudden, the once supportive media made her look like a loon.

She disappeared into obscurity as she tried to get her life back. Seven years later, she released her album I Look To You.

As I watched Good Morning America, I realized that despite the fact that I am not a big Whitney Houston fan, I was rather surprised at how her anticipated return had brought so many people together. So much so that I think Madonna wouldn't be able to pull the same magnitude of diversity. Never have I seen so many African-American gay men show up (and not it be the Gay Pride Parade), Asians, Africans (one came all the way from Ghana!), Latin Americans, and anyone in between.

Her die-hard fans were so sincere. Yes, there are the crazies, but there was a genuine feeling of open arm return-- like a hug.

Now if only everyone shared the same feeling for their fellow human beings, not just someone popular as Whitney.

As for Whitney, begrudgingly I'd say, welcome back.

No comments: