Popular Posts

Friday, September 29, 2006

Should Tom Hanks Be America's Most Trusted Celebrity?

Forbes.com just came out with their list of America's 10 Most Trusted Celebrities. With Tom Hanks being number one, I had to read the list.

People on this list included (in no particular order) Rachel Ray (say what???), Ty Pennington (he's a celebrity? I thought he was just a good looking carpenter), Denzel, Reese Witherspoon, Ron Howard, Oprah.

The only three I agree with in the list of most trusted celebrities are:

Michael J Fox
James Earl Jones
Morgan Freeman

The people I thought were highly overlooked are (and were):

Audrey Hepburn- She's dead and she still can sell GAP pants. BTW, I hate the ad. She is so pretty and elegant and yet she has been reduced to a mall advertisement.

Alan Alda- Pure genius of a man. If you haven't read Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: And Other Things I've Learned, go get it. I don't care if it's from a library or from the second hand store. You will not be disappointed.

Mel Gibson (despite his tirade. At least he speaks his mind, not hide his beliefs)

Christopher Reeve (he may be a mediocre actor and probably would've not done the charity work he did if he didn't get paralyzed but he never gave up when the chips were stacked against him)

Selma Hayek (never underestimate the Latina that made us accept the fact that curves are good and that it's not necessary to have a man to measure success especially when gracing the age of 40)

Sidney Poitier- A pioneer for all colored people and for the presence of interracial marriages in Hollywood. Imagine all the stereotypes he had to break. Even "Look Who's Coming" became controversial because it covered the issue of interracial relationships!

Angelina Jolie- she has a no nonesense approach to helping the world heal one person at a time. I may not agree a hundred percent as how to run her relationships or her household but she is determined to share her talent and resources no matter how many times she is told otherwise.

My runners-up (replacing the deceased) are Natalie Portman and Zach Braff not because they were in Garden State together but because they represent a generation that isn't afraid to discuss their beliefs and practice what they preach.

So, who do you think should be on America's Most Trusted Celebrities?

2 comments:

DeAnn said...

Are you sure you understand what they're rating, though? They're rating celebrities TRUSTWORTHINESS, which means how much the public trusts them when they tell us to do something. As much as I love Angelina Jolie, I think the public very much doesn't trust her. I don't know if I even trust her after her whole, "I would never love a man who would cheat on his wife" BS on "Dateline" or whatever.

I definitely think Oprah, Reese, Ron, Denzel, Ty, and Rachael (whom I CANNOT stand) are trusted. As is Tom Hanks. I also think the three you agree with are.

I don't necessarily like them, but it's about who the public TRUSTS, which is just ... a weird thing to judge, but I think they did a good job with it, actually.

(Sorry to disagree with you, though; you're obviously entitled to your opinions on your own blog. I just can't help myself from venting mine!)

Oh, and one last thing, I think Mel Gibson is a brilliant director. I don't think he's trusted at all. DUI + anti-Semitism = recipe for mistrust

RUDY said...

I'm kind of on the fence. In general, I'd never trust a celebrity, but that's just me.

Now, in concern with who looks more trustworth, I'd say Tom. He's got that geeky, nice guy image.