Popular Posts

Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Seven Year Itch


Thanksgiving. A day that we are supposed to be thankful for what we have and what we got.

I, for one, am not fond of the said holiday until I was told that I had the day off. Then, it became part of a tradition I looked forward to yearly. The fact that you get to eat is a bonus.

First and foremost, I want to say that this blog is entirely inspired by Amy, who posted pictures of her beloved former flames that have been part of a past she likes to visit every once in a while.

To that I raise my glass to you.

Here are the things I am grateful for when it comes to exes:

(1) Tim- Great guy. Will always be my first love. He taught me to be independent and adventurous. (Take your heads out of the gutter, you horny toads.) If it weren't for him, I would've not seen off-beaten paths in Missouri and Texas that are actually worth visiting.

(2) Mark- Although I would like to scorch this toad, he taught me 3 rather essential things. One, to appreciate country music (and Tex wasn't even able to get me in to it until I heard 'Don't Take the Girl'). Two, ice skate. Three, drive a stick shift.

(3) Joel- Okay, so he was a little possessive. And a liar. And really, unstable. But he taught me how to be a man around a car. Literally! With Dragon (my little 81 VW Golf GTI hooptie I drove around with through the German hills and valleys), I learned how to paint a car, balance and rotate tires, change oil, diagnose engine trouble and enjoy tinkering around cars. He, too, was a fun travelling buddy. We visited Paris and Versailles, visited Trier and Saarbruken and a thousand places in Germany I would've not gone to if he wasn't around to knock on my door and tell me to get my butt out of bed and spend the time out doors rather than slumming it in on a weekend.

To them, here's a toast. It was a fun ride, but I had to get off. Prince Charming had come my way.

If you didn't know by now, that's my Nilly.

Nilly and I had our first date on this holiday seven years ago. I've only known him for 3 months at this point but you know what? I've not looked back since then. I love him and he is the reason I wake up in the morning. He's the last thing I kiss at night and the first person I look forward to hearing before I become conscious (even though it's an 8 am call to just tell me that it's snowing!) and have reality hit me.

Yep, seven years. Seems like a long time, right? You know what? I am still glad that we still are in our honeymoon stage. Something tells me that we're going to be in it for the long haul.

Here's looking to 70 more.

To all, Happy Turkey Day and hope to hear from all of you on how good (or horrible) your holiday was.

K, if you're working Black Friday, Bless you and be careful.

Ames, have fun with the Apple Pie (Costco's topped with Dulce de Leche is fantabulous)!

Jackie, dear, tell grandpa to stay away from the sauce and have fun with the thousands of relatives. I miss big holiday celebrations where family is involved.

To Jo and Jem, Happy Thanksgiving. I'll give you guys a ring at the Posadases when I can get out of 'family' obligations.

1 comment:

Amy Beth Johnson said...

love the pic, and that i inspired the stroll. I should post one of my wedding pics on my blog. they were lovely--add wedding pics are, right?

no apple pie for me. i'm making cheesecake,the chocolate variety. that all, as far as i know. and i too, will be braving black friday with K. we open at nine, but all the other stores will be going since like 5am, so traffic just getting to work? oh, i can just look forward to it now. maybe i should leave now, get there on time. . .

love that your first date was on thanksgiving. very cute. way to go, seven years, just like me and hubby. our anniversary is in october--we did a haunted house.

sigh. i think we were separated at birth. . .