Popular Posts

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Christmas Movies

Currently, I am tired of listening to Christmas music. There's only one Christmas album that I'm digging right now and it has Ben Fold's "Bizarre Christmas Incident" and Jack Johnson's politically correct "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer". Other than that, I am just done.

Nilly and I have different perceptions of Christmas. Not making him shallow (or me ultra religious), he thinks of Christmas as a commercial season. I prefer celebrating the season as a secular event.

We try not to discuss it because he and I end up disagreeing. He says I am annoying since I always tell him I don't want any Christmas presents. I get annoyed with him because he still goes out and gets me something that I once liked on a whim rather than saving money.

I don't think this will be something we're going to stop arguing about any time soon.

Anyway, today was my day-off. As I told Ames, it was going to be spent cleaning the house and grocery shopping. That I did. With the help of Season 4 of Will and Grace on the TV, I was able to get a majority of my cleaning done. Threw out quiz papers, packed away school books and cleaned out the dining room table filled with Ikea catalogs and week old mail. I don't know how things got so out of hand!

So, if you're like me, motivated to clean when something is on TV, here are a few Christmas movies that are great for background noise (or an excuse to sit down and take a break).

A Charlie Brown Christmas
All I Want for Christmas (with a very young Thora Birch)
Die Hard 1 & 2 (I didn't say that it's all feel good!)
The Grinch
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Have to love this classic!)
The Muppet Christmas Carol
Love Actually
While You Were Sleeping
Frosty the Snowman
Nightmare Before Christmas
Narnia (Great movie, if you haven't caught it on the big screen yet)
The Muppets Christmas Carol (just because Statler and Waldorf as crabby ghosts isn't a far stretch)

I haven't included Miracle on 24th Street (haven't seen it in its entirety), It's A Wonderful Life (not allowed to watch it at home) and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (when has Chevy Chase become funny?).

So there it is. Add to the list your favorites!

3 comments:

Amy Beth Johnson said...

um, just wondering why you aren't allowed to watch It's A Wonderful Life?

And you left off A Christmas Story, not that it's a favorite of mine.

I'm with you on the Xmas music. All I'm willing to listen to is the BNL xmas cd and Christmas Wrapping....

ames

DeAnn said...

OK, a couple of things:

1. What about "A Christmas Story"?

2. Why aren't you allowed to watch "It's a Wonderful Life"?

Anonymous said...

I only end up listening to The Eraserheads's Christmas album, Fruitcake. It's a concept album about a girl and her friend Shadow and their pursuit of a Christmas where people are genuine about their feelings of love and sharing not just during the holiday season. I also like the fact that there are characters in the story like The Mother-packers (the elderly women responsible for packing the fruitcakes), The Fabulous Baker Boy (the head honcho of the fruitcake baking syndicate...who happens to be gay), and many others. I may have to send you a copy of the CD sometime.