Popular Posts

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Bride and Prejudice: A Review

I had to take a real breather and do something not related to the computer (at least, not the writing kind) and is relatively inexpensive. So, I headed to the video store and rented Bride and Prejudice.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not fond of the Jane Austen novel it is based upon. However, I liked how Gurinder Chadha wove the Indian culture and heritage in Bend It Like Beckham. What's there to lose, right?

So with that being said, I would like to say that the movie is lovely (God, I sound like an aging matron), even funny, if you are used to Bollywood style movies. What is Bollywood style? Very "That's Entertainment" kind of movie making. Lots of dancing. Lots of singing. And it is not a real musical in a Broadway kind of way.

I liked this movie not because it is an Austen. I liked it because you could see the hard work and effort Chadha put in to modernize this classic with some (Indian) flair. Aishwarya Rai was very good in this role as second sister, Lalitha. Her chemistry with fellow actor, Martin Henderson as Will Darcy, was fantastic. Actually, the whole Bakshi family was cast well. Despite Alexis Bledel's minor role as Darcy's sister, Georgie, she and Martha Mason made Darcy's family more palatable than snobby.

I thought the lovely sari and traditional Indian garments was beautiful. The songs, although cheesy, fit. Even the peripheral characters like Mr. Kohli made me laugh! You would know what I mean if you get to see it. Just think... It could've been worse. I loved Naveen Andrews (of Lost) in this movie. He was in his element.

I would like to say that this movie is for everyone. It isn't. There is a lot of cheese factor involved if you haven't been exposed to Bollywood movies. This isn't as straight forward as Bend It. It's more like the Lagaan type, only shorter.

If you would like to broaden your horizon and want to experience a different kind of acting, slapstick humor and heartwarming romance, go ahead and watch it. It's worth the 'me' time when in dire need of a chick flick.

4 comments:

rosie4299 said...

Hmm... maybe I'll have to head down to VidEx sometime this week and pick this movie up. You make it sound fun.

On a side note, I'm not a huge fan of the Pride and Prejudice novel either. I've read it, but I'm more of an Emma girl myself. However, I love the Pride and Prejudice PBS movie to peices. Colin Firth is my second favorite JA movie boy, right behind Jeremy Northam.

K

Anonymous said...

LOL! I am such an Emma girl, too! I can't stand Vanity Fair and all that jazz.

I have to warn you that it is nowhere close to the stiff English acting Colin Firth did in the the PBS movie but it is so innovative and charming, I had to share my review of it out there.

I'll be catching the Upside of Anger tomorrow. Another review will promptly follow the viewing.

Have a great day!!!

~M

Amy Beth Johnson said...

I did love Emma. I couldn't get far in any other J.Austen book.

Let us know about The Upside of Anger! I keep seeing commercials for it, and I might just go get it anyhow. I love Kevin Costner. Though so far I think my favorite Costner movie is Message In A Bottle, tied with Field of Dreams. Both were amazing. I fell sleep during Tin Cup, try as I did to stay awake. I also fell asleep during Braveheart though--so I'm an equal opportunity snoozer with all the hot (though now aging) Hollywood hunks.

I'm sure Red Eye will keep me awake. Can't wait til August 19th! I'm so going to see my CM on the big screen again :)

a

Anonymous said...

I didn't like Message in a Bottle as much as Tin Cup... Wow, something we actually don't agree on! And I loved Braveheart. And Gladiator. And Hero. I can go on and on...

But I will let you know how Upside goes.

~M